View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
I have a 2007 KTM 990 Adventure. I'm not at the bike right now (had to walk down the street to catch an open WiFi signal), so I don't know the model number of the Shorai right now. I'll have to go back and look. I bought the battery two years ago and I have had no problems since.

The bike fails to start on a filly-charged battery, but does start every time when boosted from another battery. When boosting, I am connecting from the ground point on the engine case to the terminal close to the start relay, bypassing the battery leads.

I'm going to check the cables leading from the battery to the start relay. I did notice that, when the bike came off the flight, one of the battery terminal bolts was rusted. The battery terminals look fine, but I will check the actual cables leading from the battery to the start relay.

Daytime temperatures have been around 12-14C, and during the nights around 8C or so. It hasn't been very cold.

I will look through your thread on batteries, but first I am going to disconnect the battery cables and inspect them. I'll do a resistance check on them, too. I am guessing a resistance check will tell me something about their condition if there are no visible signs of damage.
990 adventure is spec'd with an 11AH AGM battery. for adventure duties you need a LiFePO4 battery with actual 11AH same or larger. 12-14C is pretty nice conditions.

for Shorai that would be LFX21 (6AH measured @ 1amp rate) or better yet LFX36 (13AH measured @ 1amp rate) if you can fit in existing space.

EarthX ETX24 (6.3AH measured @ 1amp rate) or better yet ETX36 (13AH measured @ 1amp rate)

in brutal 200amp continuous load tests, for smaller size LiFePO4, EarthX has outperformed Shorai by a substantial margin. Shorai LFX36 did an outstanding job in same brutal 200amp loads tests. EarthX ETX36 also passed brutal 200amp sustained tests no problems.

Shorai LFX36 successfully passed a one year test with R80G/S including cold starts below 20f. EarthX ETX36 is about 10 months into a one year test on R80G/S, which started in winter condition including starts at below 20f. note R80G/S starting requirements are higher than fuel injected modern bikes. until if/when things go wrong on fuel injected modern marvels. then cranking requirement becomes the same. there is no substitute for having enough amp hour reserves.

currently EarthX is the only LiFePO4 battery with internal cell balancing, overcharge and under discharge protections. A substantial advantage in delivering performance.

that said .. my recommendations is to go with original spec .. AGM battery for rest of your trip. unless you can get a replacement LiFePO4 sized properly (11AH actual or larger)

going on a bike ride for a few hours .. will check when I get back

_cy_ screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 05:18 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote