View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #45
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,737
Here are the issues. The 3rd week end of October (19/26) would be best for the Fall Colors. According to the Stanislaus National Forest they will be closing the Campgrounds on 10/12. Closing means the gates or if they don't have one, turning off the water and locking the bathrooms.

I am pretty sure the Inyo National forest that covers 108 to past Lee Vining do the same. I was in one last year and It closed 10-9.

Ditto Yosemite.

I am trying to find something near a town and not at high altitude, it gets cold. Not everyone wants to roughs it.

There are some unimproved campgrounds, some on unimproved roads. Not every one is comfortable with that.

I know of 3 on 108 that you can get access too, but unless Kennedy Meadows is still fully open, it is a long way to breakfast.

If some one knows of a site that meets the criteria speak up, we will go there.

I like Grover Hot Springs and really don't mind paying the hefty camping fee, we can always split them. I don't like the 2 vehicles per site that forces us to purchase more of them. Big Trees is rather forgiving of that. I wonder what they would say if brought a trailer and everyone parked on that.

Sometime in the next month I plan to check with Kennedy Meadows for a closing date and see what Grover Hot Springs has to say. They have limited camping at Benton Hot Springs. Anyone camped there?