View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #70
okiegtrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
I know Indy is already ancient history, but want to share this little story before this thread is completely left for dead.

I worked on the volunteer pitlane staff. I was lucky enough to draw an assignment in the starters stand. It was pretty comical moment up in that stand when the lights would not work before the Moto3 race. The guy from FIM who starts the races came up there, we were already in the 5 minute countdown to race start. He begins to fiddle with the switches to control the red lights. Suddenly we both realize the lights don't work at all.

A few frantic radio calls to race control and the next thing I know, that little tower is full of people! Bigwig from FIM, one of the big wheels from Dorna, a guy from IMS, two technicians from Dorna crawl up there and begin tearing into the switch panel. While a contingent from IRTA were on the grid wringing hands and looking hopefully at the tower for some sign of success. The guy about to fall out of the tower displaying a, "delayed start" sign was me.

After a short delay, they got the lights going and the Moto3 race started a few minutes late. As quickly as they had all showed up in the tower, there were all gone again. Once the race was underway, I had the perch all to myself. It was a really cool spot to watch the races and all the pitlane action. It was even shaded.

It was an awesome Indy GP weekend, renewed some old friendships met a couple inmates and made some new friends, enjoyed the races, and rode my bike a lot to and from Indy. Best week I've had in a while!
okiegtrider is offline   Reply With Quote