View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #52
kingbee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Day 2

Got an embarrassingly late start on Day 2 (a disadvantage of hammock camping- too comfy, too easy to sleep in), but after the aforementioned oatmeal I packed up and headed south where I reconnected with the Peshekee Grade at 4 Beers corner. The plan today was to head south to run some roads and trails towards Gwinn, then past Crystal Falls into Wisconsin, ending up camping somewhere in the Chequamegon-Nicolet N.F. Near Eagle River. The plan worked, mostly.
A pretty impressive cut on the Peshekee Grade:

Might be a fun spot for some bouldering:

Another great camp. Note cement block on roof.

I wanted to get to Dee Lundeen falls, supposedly accessible from Hwy 41 near Champion. Wasted 45 minutes trying every road and trail in the general area but they all ended with gates or No Trespassing signs. If anyone local can give me info on how to get there, I'd be obliged. As it was I gave up.
Gassed up at Koski's Corner, then headed down 95 a few miles to the RR grade ATV trail. These Railroad grade trails don't offer twisty or technical riding, but they take you places you can't get to any other way. Here the trail cuts right across this wetland- they'd never be able to build a trail here nowadays. But what a pretty spot.

The trails and forest roads between Channing and Gwinn are superb. Some shots:

Another phone nailed to a tree:

An ADV sticker on the sign:

And Fred's epitaph:

It was getting late and I had a long way to go yet so no more pictures from that area. But great riding, Big Wheels road is a blast. I hit the blacktop near Silver Lake (not the same as the basin up north) and due to time just slabbed it from there into Crystal. Gassed up and slammed a couple dogs at the Krist Oil station (no longer a Citgo), then headed into Alpha. My son and daughter-in-law live in Alpha, and I felt a little guilty about passing 2 blocks from their house without stopping, but I had to keep rolling. My plan was to cross into Wisconsin at the end of Pentoga Trail and take in some of the roads in the N.F., but I spaced out and kept on 424 clear into Caspian before I realized I'd missed my turn. So I doubled back on the ORV trail to Pentoga. This error cost me at least 45 minutes and the shadows were really getting long now. Only took one more shot on the road this day, this is somewhere in the Nicolet northeast of Tipler. Splendid roads here.

Due to my late start, waterfall chasing, and navigational error, I decided I didn't really have time to find a stealth spot to camp that night so I reluctantly paid the $12 to camp at Kentuck Lake, near Eagle River. I got there just before sunset and I think I got the last spot. This is a popular fishing lake and most of the campers had fishing boats. I feared it might be pretty noisy but these were serious fishermen- they were early to bed, and when I woke up at 6 the next morning, most were already gone, presumably out on the lake.

A nice day of riding. 241 miles total.
More to come.

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote