View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #568
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
With R&R on the GPS that I use (Garmin 498 - marine chartplotter/fishfinder) I can see all roads in front of me for 10 miles on a 5" color screen with buttons.

The ability to see that far ahead to find ways around things and see what's coming up far outweighs the disadvantages. So I run a 76cx to record high res tracklogs for editing later and charge on with the 498 and R&R for navigation.
I was waiting for Garmin to come out with a big screen version of 60/76 with micro SD, and new receiver chips so didn't go the 498 route. Now sorry I didn't. I have R & R loaded in my Nuvi in my morothome just so I can see dirt roads. Als shows more towns.

The only good thing about new 78 is downloading 200 tracks to see out in front of you. I am in Houston working a space job this week. I will be back on GWT next week and think I will run 78 with every possible track showing for navagation but 76 to record tracks. It makes it so much easier to turn log off/on each time you want to start a new Active Log.