View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
lakota OP
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,973
Day 1 August 24 Millersville MD to Bradford PA
When we started planning this ride back in February August 24 seemed far far away. Now it’s upon us. The bike is loaded and ready

The GPS has points loaded, odometer zeroed, and is ready

The rider has climbed aboard and is not ready

The first step is to rendezvous at a WaWa in Millersville MD at 0800. Amazingly we are all there on time.
Keith and me

Bruce and Dana

Now how do these Scalas pair?

Eventually they do and we are ready to ride. Bruce, me, Keith, Dana.

We are off to Millersburg PA to see the last ferry on the Susquehanna River and the last paddle wheel ferry in the US. The ride is basically get around Baltimore, take I83 north to I81 and then ride up the river to Millersburg. Nothing exciting in that.

When we get there the ferry is on the other side of the river so we use the state of the art summoning system

Bikes lined up waiting for the ride

It works – here comes the ferry

While we were waiting 9 more bikes show up so it is quite a load.

Here’s how it works the engine

Is geared to a chain drive

That turns the paddles

After we get off the boat it is lunch time so we go here

No food pictures but it was very good – recommended

Bruce puts his keys down the lg vent on his KLiM pants and he and Keith have a job retrieving them.

Then we head north and west up Rte 322 – very nice almost slab limited access highway which I assume was funded to ease access to Penn State. Eventually we get to a gas stop in Penville PA and after refueling Dana’s bike won’t start. Let’s take it apart. Battery won’t charge. Apparently the stator is toast.

And Dana has a brand new one at home – which is four hours away by the fastest route. What to do. We swap Keith’s battery for Dana’s and she and Bruce will ride home to affect repairs. The plan is to rejoin us in Matagami on Monday 26 August. Bad part is she will be riding without a headlight to reduce drain on the battery and part of the ride will be in the dark. We jump start her battery in Keith’s bike and he and I head north according to plan.
Our next stop is to see Kinzua Bridge. The Kinzua Bridge or the Kinzua Viaduct was a railroad trestle that spanned Kinzua Creek in McKean County in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. Prior to its collapse in 2003, the bridge was 301 feet (92 m) tall and 2,052 feet (625 m) long. On July 21, 2003, a tornado struck the Kinzua Bridge, snapping and uprooting nearby trees, as well as causing 11 of the 20 bridge towers to collapse. Before its collapse, the Kinzua Bridge was ranked as the fourth-tallest railway bridge in the United States.
The trains came from here

And went there.

Views of the bridge and vicinity

Skywalk section

Finally it was off to Bradford PA to end the day. We stayed in a Best Western that had about 30 other motorcycles in the lot. Seems it was a ride weekend for the Erie PA H.O.G. chapter and they chose to ride the 100 miles to Bradford. A bunch of nice guys who were appreciative of what we had planned.
Dinner was at a local restaurant - Beefeaters – no pictures – but four thumbs up.
Today’s ride 380 miles.

PS Dana called me at about 10PM to say they had arrived home safely.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote