View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #22
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
We wound up in Jeffrey City by chance, just as we end up in most places. Blurry had fueled up in Rawlins and I in Medicine Bow. We were heading for the Wind Rivers Range and it didn't think we had enough fuel (obviously) to make it to Riverton or Lander. It turns out it did no good to go to Jeffrey City because the five gas stations that were there at one time were all closed.

This place seemed desperate. Strange vibe.

At that point, out of the only establishment open in the town, the bar, steps out little Brooke. Out of what seemed like a hopeless town came this amazing little shining star that was so bright that she gave me hope for the place. She was so welcoming to us it took me off guard. She hardly weighed enough to hold the door open but kept offering her hospitality. She was very talkative. I thought, 'how can such a harsh environment produce such a wonderful little girl?'

Then she lays it on us: ‘why do you guys ride those things?’ Having picked up on her intelligence, I could only think she was referring to the Super Enduro rather than motorcycles in general. We had no good answer. At that time, the three of us became aware of what idiots Blurry and I are.

Brooke was at the age of pure innocence and I truly wish her the best for what’s ahead for her.

While we were talking with Brooke, another guy came by and said he had a little gasoline he could spare to get us down the 20 mile stretch to where there was gas. He wouldn’t take any money either. Perfect. Another ‘in your face’ reminder of how to treat people.

Turns out that I only put in about 5.6 gallons of fuel which means there was almost three gallons still left?!?! The orange aftermarket Safari tanks are very difficult to judge how much fuel is in them. For long rides I have an orange 6.6 Acerbis tank for my 520 which you can see the fuel level through. No dice with the Safari tank. For the Super Enduro, I suggest the white Safari tank like Blurry has so you can see the fuel line. It appeared that I had a minor fuel pump issue as the fuel wasn’t getting pumped into the carbs after the fuel in the tank had gotten lower than the carbs. The bike will run fine with no fuel pump as long as the fuel level is higher than the carbs. Nonetheless, we were back to opening gates in no time!!

Another inconsequential creek crossing.

A few words on river crossings.

We love crossing rivers on motorcycles. Why is that? I suppose it’s because there’s a chance that you won’t make it and most males seek that unknown and always want to challenge it. During day rides in southern Utah, we often will do what some of our friends refer to as an ‘unnecessary river crossing’. Actually, it is necessary for training purposes. Plus, we like to see people sweat a bit as they attempt a crossing that might not go just right. A bunch of our bros hate it when we stop at a river and one of us walks it. If we’re walking it, that means we’re concerned we might not make it but we're going to attempt it.

Yep, we’ve drowned numerous bikes. Hydro-locked the cylinder by sucking water through the intake as well as filling a crankcase full of dirty river water. Bikes and riders have been completely submerged after getting pitched off something you can't see in the murky water. A soaked air cleaner is not uncommon as well as spark plug wiring becoming too wet to fire. Pulling the drain plug on the float bowl to let water out is another common occurrence. We’ve learned the hard way how to bring a bike back to life under all these conditions. We’ve learned how to judge whether to hit the crossing full speed perhaps landing in the river after jumping off the bank or to just putt across slow in first gear. Better make sure to grease your wheel bearings and shock linkage after riding with us. In my opinion, practicing 'unnecessary river crossings' pays off time and again.

So, the point of this rambling is that I think the LC8 in the Super Enduro may be the ultimate engine ever designed for river crossings. The reason being is the placement of the carburetors so high above the cylinders and pointing upward. The stock airbox (not shown in the photo) that actually covers both carbs is an exceptional splash guard as well. The wiring is tucked up high where it may not become as soaked as other bikes. The deepest river I have crossed so far with the Super Enduro didn’t even come close to pushing it’s limits and was around 2.5 feet deep. I’m looking forward to experiencing how this bike does with more challenging crossings.

Joe Motocross screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 09:16 PM
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote