Thread: DR350 Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #17619
RydinFool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
KLR to DR

I have one of each. I bought the KLR thinking I would get dirty with it and discovered it's just too big for ME on trails or challenging terrain. I picked up a 93 DR and love it, WHEN IT IS RUNNING. It handles really well and the extra gear makes it good on the road. I have gone up three teeth on the rear sprocket and still get about 45-50 mpg. (For folks contemplating a gearing change, this gives me 55 mph at roughly 5500 rpm. This is a nice smooth rpm.) WHEN IT WILL START. I've put about 1200 miles on it and still haven't figured out a clean starting drill. That's why I'm here. The folks reporting 1 or 2 kick starts have my attention and admiration - jealousy.

I have just retired and will have time to mess with it. I really hope I can get it sorted out, so it starts well. It is a really enjoyable bike. The KLR is more like an industrial tractor. I am fortunate enough to own more than one bike and I think I will always have the KLR. It just goes and goes and goes; never asks for anything but gas and oil (tires once in a while), and gives back tons of enjoyment at 55 mpg.

The kick starting has got to the point where I am looking at an electric start bike and will probably get one if I can't get better starting results and leave the kicking to a younger rider. To make my point, my 86 Wide Glide with no compression release is a joy to kick compared to the DR.
IBA #33670
Wee Strom, HD Electra Glide, KLR 650, Triumph Bonneville, 86 BMW R80 cafe racer, 1986 HD Wide Glide- the last one with a kickstart, 1987 BMW R80RT, Suzuki DR 350
RydinFool is offline   Reply With Quote