Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #197
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
Orange, CA to Las Vegas, NV
July 17, 2010

The finger, on the other hand, was looking worse every day and not feeling so great. I'd end up losing the nail in the next few days.

Really enjoying your ride report.

The squeamish may want to avoid reading the following:

I'm not a doctor, and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but here's a trick for relieving much of the pain of a smashed fingernail like that. You can CAREFULLY take the tip of a knife blade and GENTLY twirl it back and forth to drill a hole in the nail. Once you punch through, the trapped blood will come out of the hole, and suddenly your finger will feel MUCH better. My dad did this to mine when I was about 12 and smashed my thumb in a car door. I was scared to death, but it felt so much better when he got through I've never forgotten the trick.

I've also heard you can do the same thing by straightening a paperclip, heating the end red hot with a match or lighter, and pressing the tip to the nail (again, CAREFULLY). It'll quickly melt a hole through the nail, relieving the pressure. You're on your own with that one though, I've never tried it.