View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 04:31 AM   #61
LrnFzx OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Drag Race Staged Rally

The traffic lights on route 2 often include one of these.

You know exactly how many seconds before you have to gun it hard to run the fresh red light. No such thing as a stale green light here.

The thing you have to be careful of, though, is that the other guys have the same thing.

Plus, just like a drag race, it cycles from red to yellow to green. So, after a light turns red, the motorcycles continue to split lanes and filter to the front. Sometimes 5 or 10 motorcycles sit at the front and wait for the crossing light to turn red. They don't even wait for the yellow before the green to gun it and race to the next light. Even with the tiny 150 cc engine, the Kenton accelerates far better than all the cars and between stop lights, it's just you and the other bikes out front.

Rally rules. If you're moving slower, you pull to the right to let overtaking traffic pass. On a multi-lane road, if you're in front and thinking of changing lanes, just do it, they will almost always slow down and give you space. While changing lanes, a quick shoulder check on a bike acts like a turn signal.

My wife, after riding with me for a few weeks, said two things: "The traffic isn't as bad as I thought it was." and "Paraguay is a lot smaller if you don't have to travel it by bus."