View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #87
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
More Depot's and Stuff

Finally got around to visiting some old railroad depot's (and other stuff). Here are several short day ride's, mostly pavement, which I've done so far this summer.

I've ridden by the old depot in Nyssa, Oregon many times and it finally made my list. It looked much more modern than some of the others I have visited, but haven't found much online information regarding this depot.

However, I was able to find an old photo on Facebook (Our History ~ Our Turn-The Payette County Heritage and Tourism Commission). This site shows a photo from 1940, so I'll assume the depot was from the 1930's era, just a guess.

Next up was the depot in Ontario, Oregon. I believe these depots were constructed during the Oregon Shortline ownership era. This line was taken over by the Union Pacific Railroad, which still use the tracks today. I believe the depots themselves have been handed over to the cities in which they are located.

Next on the depot list to visit was Weiser, Idaho

From the Weiser Train Depot, I'm gonna head west and see whats down Olds Ferry rd. Olds Ferry road deadends about 20 miles at Steck Park at a BLM Recreation Campground.

On the way to Steck Park, I ride past the Weiser Sand Dunes OHV (Idaho), which is across the river from Farewell Bend State Park on the Oregon side of the Snake River. Farewell Bend is generally where the Oregon trail settlers departed the Snake River heading westward, bidding farewell to the Snake. I believe Farewell Bend is also in the general vicinity of the various Olds Ferry Locations

Since I'm riding by myself, I believe it will be wise not to venture into the dunes and risk getting stuck. Without paddle tires, I guarantee you will get stuck if you stop on the sand

Unfortunately, this guy with two young children wasn't aware of what happens when riding/driving in the dunes. Guy said he had a wrecker on the way. After making sure he had plenty of water for him and his kids, I continued on thankful I didn't try riding in the dunes myself!

As I approach Steck Park, I see what I've come looking for...a railroad trestle spanning the Snake River from Idaho to Oregon

Steck Park, the trestle and poweline, are at the southern headwaters area of the 57 mile long Brownlee Reservoir along the Snake River. It is the first of 3 reservoirs in Hells Canyon, followed by Oxbow and Hells Canyon Dam. You can drive across Oxbow Dam into some great riding areas of NE Oregon towards Wallowa Lake, Joseph and Enterprise Oregon

Although this fella has been run over and taken out of service, it's not all that unusual to find a snake, along the Snake River!

Stay tuned for more

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote