Thread: ABS off road??
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #37
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
How important is it to be able to switch off the ABS for a rider that ISN'T imagining himself to be participating in the Dakar?
I've ridden many dirt road miles with my ABS on and many miles with the ABS off. I've been riding with a group and just simply forgot to turn the ABS off but I've learned to adjust. I found myself engine braking more often to help control my speed. My brakes worked fine for most of the stuff, so long as I wasn't running excessive speeds. For me, killing the engine is a last resort. I have 61K miles on my '06 F650GSA.

If you want an unsolicited opinion, read the "Angola It's Not Like They Said" ride report. Some of these guys grew so tired of turning the ABS on/off of their BMW Dakars, that they just left it on. It's a fascinating ride report and well worth read.

As an aside, a simple way to "turn off" the ABS, on an F650, is to move the sensor away from the wheel. The ABS light will glow but the ABS won't kick in. I did this on my last DS ride and it worked great. I zipped tied the sensor to behind the fork leg, pretty much out of harms way. I know, it's not a perfect solution but neither is my well ridden F650.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote