View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
NitroRoo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Eh? Shredding the BRT! (with video!)

Or maybe it would shred us?? Only time would tell. 4 of us cut out of work early last Thursday to tackle the South West section of the BRT on a nice, long weekend.

But first! Let's dispense with the introductions and many many thanks to Error Cooled for putting this route together and making the gps files available for all to enjoy. If you aren't already aware, the Blue Ridge Trail project was started by Error Cooled in 2010, and covers hundreds and hundreds of miles of trails and back roads. If you want more info, check out his thread here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632804

This is my friend Andy and his DRZ400, which he has owned for just over 2 weeks at the time of this trip. It's his first dual sport bike, and he really only has one other short Saturday ride under his belt so far...

And the rest of us: That's me, Matt, and Trevor

But enough with the people, what about the BIKES? I'd be taking my 1984 Honda XL350R. She's kick start only, and has a severe distaste for turn signals. But, she was a good girl and allowed me to install these shiny new ones before we left:

Also on the list: Oil and filter change, new rear tire, new chain & sprockets, and new clutch and throttle cables.

Look at those nice shiny Hondas! Matt and Trevor both ride XR650L's (Trevors has the oversize tank). We had enough camping and riding gear to setup a small village - yet we all managed to forget something...

Andy drove himself to camp, since he was going to have to head back Saturday night. As luck would have it, we actually ended up leaving around the same time, and he caught and passed us on the interstate.

Virginia!

So... our plan was to camp at a spot called River Views Campground... we had a reservation, and it looked like it was nice and close to the southernmost (green) portion of the Blue Ridge Trail in Galax, VA. The roads to get there twisted and turned - good thing for gps navigation and cell phones - this place isn't easy to find!

but... after taking twists and turns through some beautiful countryside... we were greeted with a rather disappointing site (pun intended). We had done our research. They had a reasonably attractive website, with decent pictures of the grounds... but those pictures did this site no justice. We were told to setup down behind the tractor... in the mud, with piles of overflowing trash bags.

Not only that, but our neighbors who were flying the stars and bars were eying us with none-too friendly stares, while the camp host really didn't seem to think we should be staying 'round those parts.

Despite having already planned our routes from this spot, and the sun hanging dangerously low on the horizon, we decided to drive another hour North to another campsite we had considered: Stony Fork Campground just North of Wytheville.

On the way there, permanent residents:

Camp all setup and JUST before dark, ahhh this is MUCH better, and only 12 bucks a night! - GOOD CALL!

After scrambling to setup our tents and unpack before dark, we needed to make a quick run into town for some necessary provisions. Can you tell this was a guys trip?

The bikes were all unstrapped and ready to hit the road first thing in the morning! The next day would prove to be QUITE interesting, and challenging in many ways...