View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #24
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,473
Tuesday

Tuesday morning dawns clear and glorious. I can't think of a more hazardous job than being a weather forecaster in this climate. During our week on The Rock, we experienced just about every extreme of climate that could be expected in the summer. The weather can change from brightly sunny to a wind-lashed torrent in a very short space of time. Any rider should be aware of this, and bring plenty of warm clothes and rain gear. I brought my 35 degree sleeping bag (2 degrees Celsius), and was wishing on some nights that I'd brought one that was warmer.

August is reported to be the warmest and driest month. Overall, we lucked out on weather, and the black flies and mosquitoes were largely not an issue. I'd hesitate to plan a trip in June, however.

We were finished with the Trailway for a while, and I can't say that any of us regretted the fact. Tuesday's route took us over the tablelands to the north of Corner Brook. From what I'd read and heard from other riders, the roads would be spectacular. Shortly after leaving the campground, we headed up Hughes Brook Road. I immediately regretted not plotting more routes in the area. The scenery is stunning, and the riding is challenging enough to be interesting without being grueling. Starting at sea level, one rapidly ascends the mountains. One great view follows another. This area is big bike friendly, and had some of the most enjoyable riding of the trip.

Anton savoring the area:

Rich and Adam with tablelands in the background:

BMWKLR marked this as a great campsite, and it surely would have been.

View from the campsite:

My camera doesn't do the subject justice. I'm eagerly awaiting pics from the others.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 02:37 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote