View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #53
kingbee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Guess I should wrap this up...

Got packed and rolling by 7:00, and headed towards Eagle River. Camp at Kentuck Lake:

I had told Yooper_Bob I'd look him up at the rally, and I also wanted to meet Cannonshot & shake his hand. Living and riding in the U.P. I see very few D/S motorcycles. 4-wheelers and side-by-sides are king here. So it was cool to see all those bikes in the campground. Met Yooper_Bob and his wife & daughter (great talking to ya Bob) and as it happened, Cannon was right across from them, so I got to meet him as well. (Thanks again Bryan for all the great work you do.) Mentioned I was planning on hitting some of his tracks in the Flambeau area that day, and his response was, “hmmm, rocky”. Spot on, but a welcome change from sand.

For some reason I didn't take many pictures this day, although the riding was fantastic. I hit more paved roads than the days before, but they were nice twisty ones, not just straight highways. Saw the covered bridge:

Can't decide between single track or two-track? Oneida county gives you both!

At about 6:30 I found myself in Land O' Lakes and decided I'd had enough fun. My wife wasn't expecting me until Sunday afternoon but I decided to head on home anyway. She was heading to Duluth to put her Aunt & Uncle on a plane to home, and I decided I'd go with them. So another fun ride through the Ottawa and I was home just at dark, Saturday night.

It was a great trip. I really need to get back up by Silver lake and do some more exploring. This ride was a good balance of trails, forest roads, and some pavement. And as much as I like the convenience of just following GPS tracks, it does get a little mind-numbing after a while, but I had enough scouting, heading in a general direction, and getting lost to counteract that. Can't wait for the next one!

Overview of the ride. (I edited out some of my more embarrassing navigational blunders. Total mileage for the 3+ days was 849)

We usually head up to Big Eric's for Labor Day but due to circumstances that's not going to happen this year. I am hoping to get a couple day rides in though- maybe Gwinn area, maybe down into Wisconsin. Dunno yet.

Se you on the trail.

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote