View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #19
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Day 5 Smoke gets in my eyes

Day 5 Alturas California to Lake Tahoe California 375km 7.0 hours

Today I slept in a bit and got started at about 8:30. Knowing that there was some more high desert riding ahead of me I opted for a more westerly scenic route.

I rode west on route 299 to Canby and then turned south on 139 to Susanville and eventually on to Reno. There was noticeable smoke in the air as I left Alturas. The fires in Yosemite are massive and the smoke is all blowing north. By the time I got to Reno the smoke was burning my eyes and throat.

In Reno I found a spring that will suffice to repair my brake pedal but I didnít install it because my tools were buried and it was darn hot in the parking lot.

cool rig at the bike shop

Once I had the spring I called Chris in Tahoe Vista where I was going to spend the night. Chris offered up a bed after I contacted him through ADV Riders tent space thread. After riding up the fantastic Mt Rose highway I found Chrisís house at about 3:30. Chris helped install the spring and supplied an extra one for the road.

After a short walk and a great Italian dinner at Lanza's, Chris gave me a little tour of the area.

Thanks Chris! It was great meeting you
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote