View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #56
kingbee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb200t View Post
Last month (July) was the first time I had the opportunity to see the UP. My wife and I hit the highlights, but what you're doing by incorporating hammock camping, backpacking stuff and a moto is EXACTLY what I wish to be doing someday. I already have the hammock (WBBB) and the backpacking stuff, and I'm nearly done with the (my first) bike (totally unsuited for this kind of riding, but good for exploring Ohio roads and packed 2-tracks etc). So, thank again for taking the time to photograph and write about your experiences. It gives those of us who aren't there yet a mental escape and something to plan for. Cheers!
The hammock works for me-I know some say they can't sleep in one but I find them better than a bed. I even have one slung in my computer room at home, so whenever my wife's out of town our bed never gets used! Obviously you need trees, but that's not really a problem up here in the woods. Some bigger, more developed campgrounds may be a bit sparse on trees, but I avoid those places anyway. And you may have to look harder for sites that will accommodate several hammocks- but again, when all three of us camp we've not had any issues, at least where I like to go. But my back rejoices when I sleep in a hammock, so I take whatever steps are needed.
Don't let the bike limit you- as long as you're comfortable on gravel you can get to a lot of very cool places. May just have to go a bit slower on the rough parts. Don't delay- just go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
Wow, thanks. Looks terrible. I'll certainly never go now that I know. Definitely not next weekend.
Where are you NOT going next weekend?

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote