View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
F*** the roses, I'll smell 'em when I get to Montana

For a while I've been wanting to do a couple of things on my motorcycle:

1. Visit Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks.
2. Get an Iron Butt certificate.

So back in April I asked myself, if I plot a fast route from my home in Fairfield, California to Glacier National Park, where does that put me after 1000 miles?

Polson, Montana is where.

Now how awesome is it to be one day into your vacation, with fresh documentation for IBA, an hour and a half from Glacier National Park, and have a week left to explore?

This is starting to look like a plan. I put together a tentative route.

Distance Riding

A lot of people pooh-pooh distance riding. It's a lot of slabbing. It's painful, gruelling, tiring and dangerous. You miss the best roads. You don't stop to smell the roses. Those are all good points, but distance riding has one good thing going for it: you will get to where you're going in a hurry. And that works for me due to my limited vacation time and where I want to spend it.

Planning

Now the main road (Going-to-the-Sun) through Glacier was buried in snow and wouldn't open until June 21st at the earliest.

So I tentatively scheduled for late June or early July.

And then life got in the way. Work for my clients got very busy and I couldn't just up and leave. So I rescheduled departure for September 1st, figuring the parks would start getting less crowded after Labor Day.
rodr is online now   Reply With Quote