Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #20
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
I actually thought that, but didn't want to say it
Needed to be said.

I ride pairs with my wife. We have Burgmans, and comms, and stay on the pavement, but the same principle apples --- avoid surprises.

We chat back and forth all the time, discussing our route, and I've always relied on my turn signals to show I'm turning here.

I started using arm signals this summer to indicate I was about to swerve right in front of her and stop suddenly so I could take a picture. She keeps telling me how much she appreciates arm signals, so now it's become a habit. She has ABS and it works really well.

FWIW, we practice panic stops. Still. It's good to know what to expect if you hammer the brakes hard.

ABS is effective at keeping the brakes from locking up in a hard stop. The are effective only as long as the front wheel is straight. If the wheel starts to turn, the ABS will help break the (angled) front tire loose. If the wheel is turned away from the axis of motion, it must be rolling, or the bike is going down. No way around it.

If you ride often with your wife, you might look into headsets. Cardo and SENA are good brands, starting at $300 for the pair. They make riding a lot more fun, at least for us.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote