View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #25094
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Tool review...

Just replaced the chain and sprockets on my f800gs and feel I should comment on the tool I used. It's the Motion Pro PBR chain tool. The PBR stands for Press Break Rivet as it does all three. It's easy enough to look up on Amazon so I'll not post a link but I'll sum-up by saying it's worth every penny.
It is well built and comes in a nice carrying case. It's a tad bulky and heavy so I don't think I'll be carrying it in my on-board tool kit, but if I lose a chain on the road, I'll probably need more than a PBR tool anyway. The instructions make it easy to use as long as you have a little mechanical know how. As usual, I read through the instructions a couple of times when I received the tool and had a good idea of what to do before starting the job. It worked as promised and I actually look forward to using it again. The RK chain I used it on had a hollow nose rivet instead of a quad stake so that's the anvil I used but I imagine the stake anvil works just as well if not better. I'd used to fear the "no master-link chain replacement", but this made it too easy.
If anyone needs to replace a chain, just lemme know and I can put this thing to good use once again.

Eddy: I dropped the front sprocket down a tooth to 15. No difference in chain length, freeway performance is just peachy and low speed maneuvering is like butta'!!! I was planning on going back to 16 after the GS Trophy, but doubt I will.