View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #51
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
She's done fine in the courses as they are repetitious exercises, they show you what to do first and then you and everyone else in the class repeats it. She does great in that but it seems like the infinite variations of the real world are too much.
I'm pretty sure I mentioned track experience for getting better before, preferably on dirt. With general street and parking lot riding you don't learn anything beyond just the basics needed to get you from point A to point B as long as nothing out of the ordinary happens. To get familiar with traction and how motorcycles use it you need to feel the limits of traction and how it makes the bike react. To get to that point you need lots and lots of time riding on a closes course and slowly raising your pace to find those traction limits. It doesn't happen overnight.

It doesn't sound like anything you or your wife did wrong. It seems more like a lack of experience to me. When you ride in dirt, you will fall eventually. It takes experience to learn how different surfaces, tires, and conditions effect the motorcycle. If you fall you probably went to fast. If you know why you fell then just don't do it again or adjust how you did it. (it sounds like you already know it was from turning while on the front brake into dirt).

Safety gear has come a long way. I'm teaching my wife how to ride harescramble trails and log crossings right now. Even though shes pretty tough I wont let her do it without padded shorts, knee braces/pads, elbow pads and a chest/back protector along with the usually helmet, quality motocross boots, and gloves with knuckle protection. She understood how much rocks, trees, and hills can hurt when you add a motorcycle into the mix.

Fajita Dave screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 08:33 AM
Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote