View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #59
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus365 View Post
I would disagree on the complexity point. You are comparing to the diesel from the olden days. Modern diesel emission control is very complex and HPFP and common rail injection is not a cheap fix either if you have a failure out of warranty ($10k+). I think the direct injection turbo gas motors have a place in the future of truck motors. Complimented by diesel. I hope.
EGRs are complex no doubt but now that the Europeans are using the same stds as the US there can and will be a lot more tech available. And remember that Benz has been meeting the new regs using urea solutions. Injector pump replacement has always been expensive that's nothing new. A lot of these arguments sound very similar to the battery concerns in hybrids. People talking about the dreaded 5k new battery packs. Now there are rebuilders sprouting up selling packs for 1500.

Funny thing about another post re ford are you listening asking why they should bother when they have the ecoboost. Well...look at the upcoming transit...both the ecoboost AND their new diesel will be offered. So they obviously think someone wants choice.

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote