Thread: Studs
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
randyo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Studs

it's getting to be that time of year, winter will soon be upon us and I am trying to decide which route to take

my previous experience with studs, I drilled stud pockets in Karoo Ts and inserted standard automotive studs with a pneumatic gun, I got 1 season out of the rear then went to the darkside with a General Altimax Arctic in the rear which I will continue to use

my front lasted 4 seasons but now must be replaced, I am debating using Aerostitch self tapping studs instead. Anyone with any experience that can tell me if they work better or worse than regular studs ? Cost for studs from Stitch is outrageous,$109 per bag of 100.

I know I'll need about 180 studs for my front wheel, I stud the center heaviest and the further from the center the fewer studs, outer knobs I leave unstudded, my theory is on ice, I won't be leaning much and when I am on dry pavement, I will want a rubber contact patch instead of studded after 4 winters and some insane conditions, my theory has held

auto studs are $75 for a bag of 1000, I'm also thinking buying my own pneumatic gun $350-$400

because the pockets that get drilled are not the correct shape like a molded stud pocket in a car tire, it takes 50-100 mile of sketchy riding for the studs to get seated, but once they get seated

in 4 winters/approx 14k miles of use, I didn't throw any studs in the front tire

I guess mostly I'd like experience of performance, longevity and whether or not Aerostitch studs are subject to getting thrown
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote