View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Day 1: Sunday, September 1

Day 1 includes an hour of the day before, as I left Fairfield at 11pm Saturday. I had gotten about 5 hours of sleep and was just tossing and turning, anticipating the things to come. The hell with it, better to leave now and take a "power nap" on the road than to lie in bed any more.

Here's the route for today: http://goo.gl/maps/Uheh8

Gassed up in Fairfield to get my first receipt and start the clock. Then up I-505 and I-5 I go.

It's a mild evening, and a serene ride to the next gas stop in Redding after 171 miles.

Around Shasta Lake there were some nice sweepers. Riding them in the dark was surreal.

But then, as altitude increased my ride went into the deep freeze. 2000, 3000, 4000 feet. Brrr!

After the gas stop in Klamath Falls, dawn was approaching.

Not only have I NEVER been this cold on a motorcycle, I was getting sleepy.

And, morning mist was becoming a problem on the visor (and camera lens as you see here).

I took a couple or rest stops, and each of those helped but not for very long.

So then I tried a cat nap. Pulled off here, hopped the guard rail, set my phone timer for 30 minutes and zonked out behind the big tree:

That was good for about an hour. But I can't take 15 naps and still finish this ride on time. It was time to pull out the big guns. Drugs. That's right, Diet Coke! An excellent source of caffeine.

That did the trick. I bought a half liter of the stuff and chugged it whenever I needed a jolt. Problem solved.

On into Washington State, passing the Columbia River in Kennewick:

Idaho was Beautiful. But I knew Montana was going to be something special when I saw the first speed limit sign.

Wheee!

But the last part of the ride, starting in St. Regis, was the best of all.

Now who ever said iron butt rides are boring?

Final gas stop in Polson to collect my ride end receipt. 1,035 miles.

rodr screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 11:42 AM Reason: Typo in title
rodr is online now   Reply With Quote