View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #57
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 838
Day 10 The Sea of Cortez

Day 10 Catavina to Santa Rosalia 468km 7 hours

Today was a huge day. Considering the speed limits and narrow roads, 468km in 7 hours is pretty good. The recent cyclone on east coast has made it unusually muggy here and Iím continually drenched in sweat. Itís to the point where I donít want to stop moving even to take photos. Fortunately there wasnít much to take photos of. It seems like most of the day I was on really long straight stretches that lasted for many miles.

Standard Baja highway

Storm looming

Roadside garbage dump

Today I crossed into Baja South and there is a noticeable difference as I make my way. The roads are generally better and there are fewer towns along the highway. I encountered three military checkpoints today and was waved through all of them. So far no hassle from any soldiers.

A really nice diversion from the desert riding was San Ignacio. Its a little town set around an Oasis that is different from the other communities I have passed through. It was worth turning in and checking it out.

I rolled into Santa Rosalia around 3 and circled a bit before settling on the Industrial Motel. 456 pesos for a tiny room but it had air conditioning which is a must right now.

My dinner was 2 cans of beer and a bag of chips.
Tomorrow Loreto
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote