View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #3462
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrownup View Post

Would this device help with low rpm remapping ? My 2013 R1200 GSA seems to run to rich and occasionally stalls out when slowing down to a stop. It also pops when cool. I use 93 Octane fuel and ride at sea level. I want a leaner fuel remap on my GSA. Would this do it ? I also want the flexibly to clear the real map in case I ride in higher elevations. My bike always seemed to ride too rich right from the day I bought it with 13 miles. I have 8000 miles on my bike and commute on it 1/2 the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post

I'm not the expert in this thread so take this with a grain of salt.

I've never seen a stock GS run too rich. There might be something else wrong with the bike. FWIW I've ridden my stock '07 through Leadville, CO with no noticeable degradation in performance. You can get higher than that in North America but it's not easy. If it were ever going to run rich it would have done it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post

Popping and stalling is due to being too lean. Some cycles are too lean for complete combustion, which leaves unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust. They accumulate and ignite, causing the pop.

The IICE air does not change the map. It only modifies the input to the ECU to get it to use a slightly richer part of the map on transient throttle. This is covered in the links.
Thanks for chiming in fellas, and here's my two cents, luckygrownup.

As Carlo said, the boxer motor isn't operated at what you would call a rich mixture anywhere in the operational range. Eric is on the track too. Exhaust popping for the boxer and Motronic combination is caused by the mixture swinging too lean to combust. The unburned oxygen and fuel gets ignited with-a-pop during the next exhaust stroke.

And a slight adjustment to Eric's comment. The IICE Air richens up the mixture during leading throttle acceleration, and pays small dividends during transient throttle. The big increase to transient throttle enrichment is from the IICE Cool.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation