View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #75
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
UOTE=Cal;22268952]I suggest you go into Trip Planning and ask that question in the Is Mexico safe thread, there are members who live in Durango and you may be able to get a tire there. Being your first trip all roads are new to you and all can be great.
You could ride #40 into Durango from Mazatlan it is worth it! Once you leave Durango there are many colonial cities to visit, Zacatacas,San Luis Potosi, Guanajuato,Queretero, Morelia and Patzcuaro. Then if you want to go to the coast from Patzcuaro its a short hop down to Playa Azul which is nice and quiet with a few hotels, I paid 120 pesos In Playa Azul.
Do you have Sjoerd Bakkers Hotels of Mexico?
Check in Mazatlan for a tire its a big place there is a bike shop on the Malecon near the Golden zone and when I stopped they were very helpful. Stay at the Hotel Belmar in Mazatlan, there are 2 types of rooms 150 pesos and 350 pesos the difference is 1 has just a fan and no hot water the other has A/C and hot water, I found the water coming out of the shower is not cold but refreshing.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cal,
I do have SB's book but did not pack it...I know...duh!
I have decided to stick to my original plan more or less. The tire is good until at least Guadalajara and I found a Mitas dealer there. If I haven't worn out the first one I'll just strap a new one on top of all the other crap I have :)

Tentative route

View Larger Map
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote