Date Built: 1924
Architectural Style: Neoclassical Revival
Designer: Curran R. Ellis
Other Information: This is Bibb County's fourth courthouse. The first was a one-room building built in 1825, the second was a brick building constructed in 1828. The third was a large, three-story structure with a clock tower, completed in 1870 [see postcard 1, postcard 2, and postcard 3]. The current courthouse was completed in 1924 [see postcard 4.] A jail was added to the top floor in 1926; the entire structure was remodeled in 1940 as a WPA project. The lobby floors are made of marble.
County History: Bibb County was created on Dec. 9, 1822, by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1822, p. 21). Georgia's 55th county was created from portions of Houston, Jones, Monroe, and Twiggs counties and named for Georgia-born Dr. William Bibb, who was the first elected governor of Alabama.
County Seat: Macon [named after former U.S. Speaker of the House and then U.S. Senator from North Carolina Nathaniel Macon -- presumably because of the number of North Carolina settlers who moved into the area following the 1821 Treaty of Indian Spring, in which the Creeks ceded lands between the Ocmulgee and Flint rivers; created and designated county seat of Bibb County on Dec. 23, 1822, and incorporated Dec. 8, 1823]