View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #1511
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Id be interested to know the thickness of the laminate and its make up - this being based on what loads you believe you will encounter (vibration, static and dynamic loading as well as impact forces at ??? speed)
The layup is 8 layers of carbon twil and one relativly heavy layer of kevlar, epoxy is the matrix.

edit: I'll be testing this one over the next few weeks the might make some improvements, probably going a little thicker in the layup, possibly some uni's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Like Dimitri and Pete have said, CF is great in some applications, for a high vibration environment, the cracking following a substantial impact and the propagation of them would not be good in a structural part such as this.

While the fabric will retain the strength, the resin will not retain the structure/form, it'll be tethered well, but flap around.
Carbon actually has better resistance to crack propagation than aluminium, each strand acts as a barrier to the crack.

Yes, I agree that was my point, if it does fail the kevlar keeps the pieces together. Not the best option but it does keep everything together.

Like I said before I've been running a cf tower for more than a year now and have had some quite big crashes, the tower held up very well.

I'll post some photo's of the rest of the setup later this afternoon. I'm using aluminium for the sideplates, they can bend and absorb the impact/energy, the idea of the CF base is to have it as stiff and strong as possible.

Cheers guys.

michael1968 screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 07:28 PM
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote