View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 04:40 AM   #11
Mr&MrsErnbo
Taggin' Machines
 
Mr&MrsErnbo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Outside Hotlanta and the Sandbox
Oddometer: 1,312
Newton county courthouse in Covington.



Location: Covington
Date Built:1884
Architectural Style: Second Empire
Designer:Bruce & Morgan
Other Information:The Dec. 1821 legislation creating Newton County authorized the county's first inferior court to purchase up to 202.5 acres for locating a courthouse and jail and laying out town lots, the sale of which would go toward the expense of erecting public buildings. Until a courthouse could be built, the legislation provided that elections and court sessions be held at the house of Martin Robb. Jordan and Puster report that a one-room log courtroom was built at Brick House (ten miles east of present-day Covington) in 1822 at a total price of $62. A two-room log courtroom was built in Covington -- probably in 1822 or 1823. Possibly, this structure was replaced by a more substantial courthouse. In any event, the building serving as courthouse burned on the final day of 1883. The current courthouse was built on the site of its predecessor in 1884


The sidewalk in front is full of history too
County Courthouse Historical Marker: Click here
County History: Newton County was created from Henry, Jasper, and Walton counties on Dec. 24, 1821 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1821, p. 38). Georgia's 53rd county was named for Revolutionary War hero Sgt. John Newton (1755-1780). The area that became Newton County originally was Creek Indian lands ceded by the Treaty of Fort Wilkinson (1802), Treaty of the Creek Agency (1818), and Treaty of Indian Springs (1821).
County Seat: The 1821 legislation creating Newton County authorized the justices of the inferior court, when elected, to choose a central site in the new county for designation as county seat. Election of Newton County's first inferior court did not take place until sometime in 1822. A settlement known as Brick House (so-called because the first brick building in the area had been built here) served briefly as the first county seat of Newton County. A one-room log courthouse was built here in early 1822, and the county's first court session was held here in April 1822. However, the inferior court selected a new community ten miles to the west known as Newtonsborough (soon renamed Covington) as county seat. An 1822 Georgia map shows Covington as the county seat and only named community in Newton County. In December 1822, Covington was incorporated by the legislature. The town's name honored Leonard Covington (1768-1813), a U.S. Army officer who had served at Fort Recovery in southwest Georgia in 1794 and was killed during the War of 1812.
__________________
Where shall we ride today??
Iron Butt Association No. 48951
Coastal Empire TOR Map



Mr&MrsErnbo screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 05:35 AM
Mr&MrsErnbo is offline   Reply With Quote