This courthouse, the only one in county history, was completed in 1920 and renovated in 1976.
County Courthouse Historical Marker: Click here
On Aug. 21, 1917, the General Assembly proposed a constitutional amendment to create Treutlen County from Emanuel and Montgomery counties (Ga. Laws 1917, p. 44). In the next general election, Georgia voters ratified the proposed amendment on Nov. 5, 1918, which marks the date of Treutlen County's creation (although a state historical marker on the courthouse grounds incorrectly cites the county's creation as the day the legislative act proposing the constitutional amendment was approved).
Why was Treutlen County created by constitutional amendment instead of an act of the General Assembly? In 1904, Georgia voters had approved a constitutional amendment limiting the number of counties in the state to 145. The next year, the General Assembly created eight new counties, bringing the total number to 145 -- the constitutional limit. Nevertheless, there was continuing pressure to create more counties. Beginning in 1906, lawmakers got around the 145-county limitation by creating new counties through constitutional amendments that were not subject to the limitation. By 1924, Georgia had 161 counties -- 16 of which had been created by constitutional amendment. On Jan. 1, 1932, Milton and Campbell counties merged with Fulton, leaving 159 counties. In 1945, Georgia voters ratified a new constitution -- one which provided an absolute limit of 159 counties, with an additional provision (see text
) that no new country could be created except through consolidation of existing counties.
Georgia's 154th county was named for John A. Treutlen
(c.1730 - 1782). Treutlen served one term (1777-1778) as Georgia's first state
governor following adoption of the Constitution of 1777.
Soperton [named for a railroad construction engineer whose last name was Soper; incorporated Dec. 17, 1902 as part of Montgomery County; designated county seat in Aug. 21, 1917 proposed constitutional amendment and ratified by the voters Nov. 5, 1918].