White County courthouse in Cleveland
The original White County courthouse was built in Cleveland in 1859. When the current courthouse was occupied in 1964, the old building was converted into a museum. County History:
White County was created from Habersham County on Dec. 22, 1857, by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1857, p. 44). Georgia's 125th county was named for Newton County state representative David T. White, who helped get legislation creating the county passed.
Cleveland [named in honor of Maj. Benjamin Cleveland, a hero of the American Revolution's Battle of Kings Mountain who was an early settler of Habersham County]. Settled in 1857 and incorporated by the General Assembly on Aug. 18, 1870