View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #43
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Day #22... Grand Tetons to Yellowstone

Not really any rush today as we're just going to Yellowstone and that is maybe 70 miles away.

Get rolling around 9 or so and make the casual stroll up to Yellowstone.

Some beautiful views on the way in:

And some cool waterfalls:

Lewis Falls:

Gibbon Falls:

Kepler Cascades:

I had done some research on Yellowstone and there is 3 historic hotels in the park. The Old Faithful Inn, Mammoth Springs in and the Yellowstone Hotel.

I figured why not pamper mama a bit and stay at these three places. I had to book them a long time in advance to get a room so I figured this should work out good.

We get to the the Old Faithful Inn around 11 or so and are greeted with Old Faithful in all her glory.

The Inn itself was pretty cool. All constructed from huge logs that created a big main room where a guy was strumming a fiddle

We get checked in and the decide that it's time to get out of dodge because it was a absolute ZOO at the Old Faithful Inn. Japanese tour busses, thousands of tourists etc...

I should have thought of this before booking this place because even though major beauty was all around us it felt more like disneyland than yellowstone. As I mentioned before I don't do well with crowds so this wasn't sitting well.

I asked a park ranger about this and he said 75% of the people are gone if you come in April/May or Sept/Oct so if you'd like to have WAY less people go outside of the summer months.

This was a theme we dealt with the entire time we were in Yellowstone.

We figured it out after day 1 and from then on we got up at dawn to see the sights and then we'd be done by 10-11 am when all the Japanese tour busses started showing up.

They did find GringoZilla quite interesting though!

So we headed back out to go check out some of the famous sites near old faithful like the Grand Prismatic Springs which is a thermal vent bacteria pool that is superheated so all these crazy bacterial colors come out. There is no "skin" or "filter" on this shot. That's really what it looks like.

There were also random Blue pools all over that looked like a bowl of windex:

Hiked over to "Morning Glory" to see another super colorful pool but apparently douchnozzle tourists throw coins, bikes, trash in the pool which blocks the thermal vents and that in turn changes the temps and certain bacteria die off.

This pool used to have all the colors of the rainbow and now it's left with this. Still pretty cool though!

To be continued....

2014 Uganda to South Africa and Back! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966306

SurfnnRide screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 01:25 PM
SurfnnRide is offline   Reply With Quote