The least attractive courthouse seen this day.....
at least there is a concrete turtle to look at.
Location: 225 Pine Ave., Albany
GPS Coordinates: 31.57861, 84.15246
Date Built: 1968
Architectural Style: Modern
County History: Dougherty County was created Dec. 15, 1853 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1853-54, p. 296). Dougherty County was formed entirely from Baker County.
Additionally, portions of Worth County were transferred to Dougherty County in 1854 and 1856. Georgia's 103rd county was named for Athens judge Charles Dougherty, a strong advocate of states' rights in the 1850s.
County Seat: The act creating Dougherty County designated Albany as county seat. Believed to have been named for Albany, N.Y., Albany was settled in 1837 in what was then Baker County. The General Assembly incorporated Albany as a town on Dec. 27, 1838 (Ga. Laws 1838, p. 128).