View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #44
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Marion County Courthouse -- Buena Vista GA

Last one for the day.

I don't remember seeing the 'other' courthouse in Tazewell, but its been years since i've been through there. I haven't even heard of Horry, but then again I've only been in these parts for about 18 years.

Date Built: 1850

Architectural Style: Vernacular with Neoclassical Revival alterations

Designer: Unknown

County Seat: The Dec. 14, 1827 legislation creating Marion County made no provision for a county seat. However, on Dec. 27, 1828, the legislature named nine local citizens as commissioners to select the location for Marion County's seat of government. The site they initially picked was known as Horry (a name of unknown derivation), though by 1839 the name had changed to Marionville (see map).

In an act of Dec. 27, 1838, the legislature designated Tazewell as county seat and directed that the courthouse be erected on land lot 230 in the fourth district of the county (Ga. Laws 1838, p. 127). The same act incorporated Tazewell as a town. The town's name honored Henry Tazewell (1753-1799), who represented Virginia in the U.S. Senate until his death.

Dec. 27, 1845, the legislature repealed the law naming Tazewell as Marion County seat of government (Ga. Laws 1845, p. 76). In its spring 1846 session, Marion County's grand jury was directed to name seven commissioners with responsibility for selecting a new county seat. The law directed that the new county seat be within one mile of the center of the county. However, removal of the county seat was conditioned upon approval by county voters in a referendum scheduled for the first Monday in February 1846. That did not take place, so the legislature passed a new act on Dec. 27, 1847 providing for a referendum on removal of Marion's county seat to be held on the first Monday in April 1848 (Ga. Laws 1847, p. 71) .

tsimmons screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 06:30 PM
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote