View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #36
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: North Dakota
Oddometer: 118
I've finally managed to collect all the parts necessary to assemble the engine. I took the crankshaft back to the machine shop and had them turn the connecting rod journals down .010" undersize for new plain bearings.

I think it was a couple weeks ago now, I went back to pick it up. The machinist for some unknown reason didn't want to remove the crank plugs. He said he was afraid he wouldn't be able to find a plug to put back it. I had to take matters into my own hands. After removing the snap rings, first I tried blowing a plug out with air pressure, but that was futile. So I pounded a center punch into the middle of one and popped it out. Then the other side I just pushed out. It was completely full of sludge and powdered oil. ( on a side note: The 1956 has drilled oil passages with small threaded plugs in them.) At work I have a CNC machined for cutting out Aircraft Instrument panels. I cut out two plugs out of .100" 2024T3 aluminum about .002" bigger than the hole. Pounded them into the crank and refitted the snap rings.




Hope this won't be a problem. I'm sure many other things are bound to fail before this though.

Next up new bearings:

I bought new main bearings from Baxter Cycle. The roller bearing was a FAG and the ball bearing ZVL

My wife wasn't thrilled about this, but into the oven when the crank cases
to 200 degrees F.



The bearings went in pretty easily with a a bit of pounding.



I decided against using glyptal on the cases. The coating in them was pealing badly. A couple cycles in the parts dishwasher at work and it all came right off. I removed all the oil galley plugs and blew them out.
robberst is offline   Reply With Quote