View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #1396
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,072
Carb Mod, Gearbox Case Repair, & Output Shaft Circlip Mod

Today:
  • I got back Gus’s carbs, repaired gearbox casing (drain plug), & output shaft with a circlip groove machined in.
  • I purchased a bearing splitter, similar to what Voltaire showed above, in order to ease a couple of the bearings off, where they are too tight against gears to allow the puller to gain purchase. I figure better to buy a tool as you need it - & save damage bodging. That way I have it for next time
  • The garage door guys came & installed a new garage door & opener for my workshop. Goodbye to the rusted heavy manual door.
The gearbox drain has been repaired with a bronze insert, staked inside the case. Nice.

The output shaft with circlip. Exciting, I know. Well maybe to just to me...

Here's a video as to why that circlip is important

Regarding the carb mod, there is a write up over in the ‘water crossing thread’. This is to increase the wading depth of Gus in stream crossings.

John also repaired one of the choke stops with a stainless pin. The prior cast one had broken off when I was trying to get the choke lever nut to undo.

I got five of the gearbox bearings from Mana Bearings, but they cannot economically provide the input bearing. If I import this, I may as well have got all of the bearings as a kit from offshore. Doh! At least the five bearings I already hold are a known quantity. I’ve already ordered new seals & ancillaries from Motobins.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 05-01-2014 at 12:28 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote