View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #39
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by justafurnaceman View Post
VS.

Now I'm all about being respectful to my fellow neighbors and such but there are a lot of lunatics out there that would complain about the smallest noise. What are we to do about them?? Oh, lets turn all of our bikes in and get electric ones... that'll keep the noise down!!

I was camping at Flagstaff lake in a remote location and I got up early to enjoy the sunrise. As I was lighting the fire I heard some noise. WHAT??? NOISE WHILE I'M CAMPING??? UNHEARD OF!! IT SHOULD BE QUIET OUT IN THE WILDERNESS!!!! It was a chainsaw and then I heard the logging trucks. OH NO!! IT WASN'T ALL PIECE AND QUIET!!! WHAT AM I TO DO???

Now lets have an adult conversation about this. Some of us enjoy hearing our engines. It was part of the muscle car era and is a part of motorcycles for a group of us. If you're offended by it then TURN YOUR HEARING AID DOWN!! Seriously, it's part of life. Life is noise. Excess isn't a measurement. What's excessive to one person isn't excessive to another.

Yeah, I wish some people would get quieter pipes but then again I wish my neighbor wouldn't mow his lawn at 8am. I wish that the kid with the crappy car would put a muffler on his car instead of a fart can thinking that it was cool. If LEO/legislation would limit EVERYTHING I might consider agreeing with them. Riding an electric motorcycle just so some liberal people with their noise stuck up in the air wont get offended, NOT HAPPENING.
Obviously you cant make everybody happy all the time, but when your pissing everybody off, including other motorheads, you've gone too far.

I too enjoy hearing an engine, but I'm aware the other 99 out of 100 people don't want to hear mine, so I use common sense and practice some restraint. If you choose to make enough noise to cause others to complain, you should be willing to listen to their noise too.

Your exhaust, their whining, its only equitable.