Old 09-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
trhjohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 8
First Bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caea View Post
Hi everyone!
Don't know if this is the correct place to ask this, if not i'm sorry, but here it goes.
I'm currently having lessons to obtain a motorcycle driving licence (Europe). Started with a 125cc and after 5 lessons, till now, I jumped to a Honda CB500. I'm currently 6 lessons away from the final driving exam and even before commencing the lessons I started looking (and dreaming) for a bike.
The one that really caught my eye was the new BMW F 800 GS Adventure, love at first sight .
I'm 5'10'' and consider myself to be very calm on the throttle and the road, although for a newbie that won't be of a much if thing goes wrong fast (my 0$02).
With this in mind do you guys think that the F 800 GSA would be a good first bike?
Thanks in advance.
I too am taking lessons right now. My background is mainly mountain bikes and 3 years of semi-pro road bike (the peddle kind) racing. That being said, I am new to the world of motorcycles and I am loving every minute of it. I talked this subject over with my motorcycle instructor extensively and he suggested just getting a new bike, the one you want to keep forever. He started out riding sixty years ago and has only laid his bike over a couple of times. I live in Colorado and am planning on doing long overland trips on dirt and paved sections so my first bike is going to be the 2014 F800 GS Adventure. It should be here at the end of this week or next, I already reserved it. I did a lot of research and chose this bike for its extended range, and loads of standard accessories, I also liked the lighter feel over the KTM 990. I am 6'5" so height is not an issue, they do have a seat lowering kit and I am sure the dealer will work with you on that. I have a cautious streak coupled with years of experience on two wheels, I have nothing to prove to myself or others and am not worried about crashing a new bike. I figure if I get in over my head, that is probably my fault. Get what you want, what makes you happy and keep us all posted. I can't wait to get mine. Ride safe
trhjohn is offline   Reply With Quote