Location: Fort Valley
Date Built: 1936
Architectural Style: Colonial Revival
Designer: Dennis & Dennis
Other Information: After Peach County's creation in Nov. 1924, the second floor of Slappey's Opera House (later designated Austin Theater) on Main St. served as the county courthouse. Later, county officials moved the courthouse around the corner to a former Star and Durant auto dealership on South Macon St. The current courthouse was built in 1936. After a fire in 1969, the courthouse was restored with an addition constructed in the early 1970s. Another addition was built in the 1990s.
County History: On July 18, 1924, the General Assembly proposed a constitutional amendment to create Peach County from Houston and Macon counties (Ga. Laws 1924, p. 39). In that year's general election, Georgia voters ratified the proposed amendment on Nov. 4, 1924, which marks the date of Peach County's creation (although a state historical marker on the courthouse grounds incorrectly cites the county's creation as the day the legislative act proposing the constitutional amendment was approved).
Georgia's 161st -- and last -- new county was named for the peaches widely grown in the area.
County Seat: The 1924 constitutional amendment creating Peach County designated Fort Valley as county seat. Fort Valley was originally settled in 1820 as an Indian trading post. The community reportedly was named for Arthur Fort, a Revolutionary War hero. In Feb. 1854, the legislature incorporated Fort Valley.