View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,999
another amateur rally racing thread

I know, i'm just another amateur who wants to get in to the rallying scene, like the thread title says and i may end up realizing that i'm completely unfit for it. I have been "actively" participating in the scene using an i5 equipped laptop navigation kit and the ultra high performance couch long stroke engine from the comfort of my home. I did give the "Raid de Himalaya" a shot back in 2007 on a Royal Enfield. The bike packed up on Day 1 !!! Since then life happened, i got married and somehow we chose not to have kids. So now i'm thinking why not put the time and money to good use ? and do some rallying.

I know i like riding off-road but i'm not an accomplished racer in any way. I just try to take my LC8 places where she should not be and end up in positions that we should not be (her on top of me !!) in. I happen to work (for a living) in AbuDhabi so there are a few rallies that happen in the vicinity, notably the North African, Mediterranean and Central Asian rallies which i "think" i will enjoy. I'm not even talking about the ADDC and Qatar sea line rallies as i "know" they're not for me right now. Not until i gather some experience with riding fast while navigating using a road book. Oh, i should have mentioned this first. I have never used a road book and i want to get in to rallying. There, i said it. In the Raid de Himalaya, we were given the same road books (spiral bound, no less!!) as the cars and i made my own notes on a piece of paper, which i stuck on the fuel tank. I was fully prepared to stop at cross roads in the middle of a SS, whip out the road book and look for directions !!!

Just to set all our expectations (mine especially) straight, my plan is to get in to some entry level (skill & competition wise) rallies with the sole target of finishing. That's it. By now you might have noticed that i haven't used the D-word at all because, that's not my target and frankly speaking i don't think i can ever come up with that kind of money, ever. I like to see where i stand in terms of capability and if i can stomach the shit an entry-medium level rally throws at me.

I've contemplated writing this thread for long and held off. Then i woke up this morning and thought you folks are probably the only ones who "get it". I will use this thread to chronicle my story and hopefully small successes if any.

I've now put my '07 990S up for sale and looking forward to use the money to buy a better suited bike for my rallying dreams. One thing for sure it will be either Orange or Blue-Yellow in colour.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote