View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
I'm with you, mate!
Knowing that you put your 990 for sale feels weird. Come visit the OC still.

Good luck with your project and adventure, you're going to have a blast.
I've done a few myself and don't regret it for one sec. The D-word also crossed my mind... One day maybe (doubtful)
Thanks mate !! every word of encouragement (and warning) helps.

So now, first thing first - Bike selection.

Option 1 : 2010 KTM530 Exc - Rally prepped, approx 9,500USD. Used in a few rallies previously so, comes with the following.
- 5ltr Meca system rear tank
- Rally fairing kit including trailtech lights, Md road book holder, twin ICOs, remote switches, mounts for Iritrack etc
- Suspension work (4.8Nm springs)
- rebuilt engine (top & bottom ends)
- Steering damper
- 13Ltr front tank
- Rally Raid sump guard with tool box
- Single sump conversion
- various pretective bits for clutch slave, hand guards etc.
- Samco hose kit

So, the bike is pretty well sorted out and will be ready to ride after i do a complete strip down, assessment and bolt it back up together. I doubt if i will need to put any more money into it other than gas and oils... Its carb'ed.

Option 2 : Brand new "Zero miles" 2012 Husaberg FE450, Bone stock, 8,700USD and it has the following.
- long and interesting rally bike build thread

I love the 'Bergs and think a 450 will be easier on me than the 530Exc and it comes un molested. I've heard good things about the 'berg FI and assume that the closed cartridge forks are better than the KTM's open ones. But they might be more involved in terms of maintenance. I've never worked on closed cartridges.

The KTM looks really attractive with it being fully built for rallies but i have a stupid part of me screaming inside blue n yellow... blue n yellow... there's some thing about that engine, the layout, the way the handlebar to seat position looks... there's something about that bike. But it will take atleast another couple grand to build it up into a rally bike.

Touch choices. ....