Date Built: 1923
Architectural Style: Neoclassical Revival
Designer: T.F. Lockwood, Jr.
This is Stewart County's fifth courthouse. The first was a log cabin built in 1831. A more sturdy structure was completed in 1837. That courthouse was replaced by a substantial two-story brick building in 1896 designed by A.J. Bryan. This building was destroyed by fire in 1922 and rebuilt the following year. Though similar in appearance to its predecessor, the clock tower on the 1923 courthouse was moved from the center of the building toward the front. The courthouse was renovated in 1935-36 as part of a WPA project. The entire structure was renovated in 1983.