Nothing but a shell! Construction crews were onsite for the rebuilding.
Date Built: 1886
Architectural Style: Queen Anne
Designer: Kimball, Wheeler & Parkins
Randolph County was created in late 1828, but it was not until January of 1830 that the county's first elected officers were commissioned. Initially, the town of Lumpkin served as unofficial county seat, with court sessions and other county business taking place in private homes and other locations. In Dec. 1830, Lumpkin served as official county seat for 21 days before being transferred to newly created Stewart County. One year later, a land lot in the center of Randolph County was designated as county seat (as well as the site of the new town of Cuthbert) -- but the county still had no courthouse. According to Jordan and Puster, a wooden courthouse was built here in 1837, with that structure replaced by a brick building in 1840. However, in 1845, the legislature authorized Randolph County officials to levy a special tax to build a new courthouse, so the county's second courthouse may actually date to 1845 or 1846. In 1871, the legislature authorized the county to borrow $20,000 to build a new courthouse, subject to voter approval. Apparently, the election failed, for the legislature enacted new legislation in 1883 calling for a referendum to allow the county to borrow $15,000 to build a courthouse. The election was delayed until 1885, and this time voters gave their approval. Randolph County's new courthouse was completed in 1886 and still serves today.