Location: Fort Gaines
Date Built: 1871-73
Architectural Style: Italian Renaissance Revival/Neoclassical Revival/Beaux Arts Classicism
Designer: Vernacular (Greek Revival influence)
The 1854 law creating Clay County authorized the justices of the county's first inferior court to provide for erection of a courthouse and jail. However, for the next two decades, it is not clear if a courthouse was actually built or whether the county instead rented space. In 1869 and 1870, local grand juries recommended that a county courthouse be built, and in 1870, the General Assembly authorized Clay County to hold a referendum on borrowing money to build a courthouse (Ga. Laws 1870, p. 450). Voters agreed, and construction began in 1871. Completed in 1873, the Clay County courthouse is still in use today.