Date Built: 1902
Architectural Style: Neoclassical Revival (with campanile-like clock tower)
Designer: Alexander Blair
Decatur County was created from Early County on Dec. 8, 1823 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1823, p. 63). The county was organized by an act of Dec. 19, 1823. Georgia's 58th county was named for U.S. Navy Commodore Stephen Decatur. In 1920, Seminole County was created entirely from Decatur County. Also, portions of Decatur County were used to help create Thomas County (1825) and Grady County (1905).
County Seat: On Dec. 19, 1823, the General Assembly passed an act organizing Decatur County. Five commissioners were named to select a county seat "as near the center of the county as convenience will admit" and to contract for building a courthouse and jail. The same act directed that Decatur County elections and court sessions be held at the home of George G. Gaines until a county courthouse was built. Subsequently, the commissioners picked a site near where Fort Hughes once stood. Here, they had a wooden courthouse built in 1824. On Dec. 2, 1824, the legislature officially designated this site as permanent county seat and directed that it be known as Bainbridge. The name honored William Bainbridge, former commander of the U.S.S. Constitution. The legislature incorporated the town of Bainbridge on Dec. 22, 1829 (Ga. Laws 1829, p. 186).