GPS Coordinates: 31.23139, 84.20912
Date Built: 1936
Architectural Style: Art Deco/Stripped Classical
Designer: William J.J. Chase
Mitchell County's first courthouse -- a two-story wood building -- was built in 1858. This structure burned in 1869 and was replaced the next year by a similar courthouse. The county's third courthouse was built in 1890 and served until 1936, when the present courthouse was completed as a WPA project.
Mitchell County was created from Baker County on Dec. 21, 1857 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1857, p. 38). The county was formed from all portions of Baker County east of the Flint River. Georgia's 123rd county was named for Gen. Henry Mitchell (1760-1839), a hero of the American Revolution, state militia officer, and former president of the Georgia Senate (1808-09). [Some sources have suggested that the county may have been named for David Mitchell (1766-1837), who served as Georgia governor 1809-1813 and 1815-1817.However, the act creating Mitchell County specifically states that it was named in honor of Gen. Henry Mitchell.]
The Dec. 21, 1857 legislation creating Mitchell County provided for election of county officials in March 1858. After that election, the new justices of the inferior court were empowered to select a "central and convenient place" to serve as county seat, to lay off the site into lots and streets, to provide for erection of a courthouse and other public buildings, and to make temporary arrangements for a site to conduct county business until a courthouse could be built. At some point in 1858, the inferior court designated Camilla as county seat and had a courthouse built. On Dec. 14, 1858, the legislature incorporated Camilla to consist of all territory within one mile of the courthouse (Ga. Laws 1858, p. 135). Reportedly, the town was named for Camilla Mitchell, granddaughter of Gen. Henry Mitchell.