Thread: adv noob
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayj93pgt View Post
looking to do get a bike to do longer trips and such on, maybe some solo camping or whatever gets me away from snoreville. Anyway my short ass is only 5'7" and i dont know how to measure an inseam but its probably not good. on a stock 2012 vstrom adventure i can have both feet touching, but just on the balls not flat. anyway enough of that. I am wondering before i continue looking at bikes and considering a bike that is borderline too tall for my comfort, is there a certain amount of ground clearance, front/rear suspension travel that i should maintain when considering lowering if im going to be taking it on dirt and gravel roads etc? i most likely wont be taking this bike out to do hardcore off roading but would like to be able to hit forest roads and maybe a little harsher i suppose but im sure it will see significant amounts of slab. I dont like the idea of lowering suspension but i would like to be flat foot or nearly flat the first time i take a bike out on dirt in my life.

if anyone here thinks i should just get a lightweight ds or dirt bike to learn on first please let me know before i get a 650cc'ish adv style bike and go beat the shit out of it and drop it everywhere lol. my experience riding is about 2 years, 2003 sv650s, 2005 gsxr 600, 2006 triumph sprint st 1050, 2009 ninja 250r, and my honda pcx 125 scooter (chick magnet)
I'm 5'8"/30" inseam, and my first dirtybike was an unlowered DR650SE. While not ideal for height, weight, or suspension, it was fine because I'm strong and sturdy, and because I started off gradually, rather than trying to race Baja my first time off the pavement.

It runs slab nicely too. Just set the bike up for your usage.

Buy used.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote