Most of today spent in discussions with various Doctors and Orthopaedic specialists, waiting rooms or under and in various scanners and X-ray machines. The results?
Both fractures (foot and hand) have in fact turned out to be displaced, but the right heel fracture is looking good for healing well without interference. It will need to be non weight bearing for at least four weeks in a "moonboot" and then we can reassess it. It looks like a segment of the heel has been pulled out by the tendons but has finished up only about 3mm displaced. The surgeon thought maybe he could put a screw in to relocate it but after getting the CAT scan done he decided it should heal okay as it is. Good news.
Now the bad news. Well, I am scheduled for an operation on my right hand tomorrow (Friday) afternoon. Now that the swelling is reducing it is clear that the finger is misaligned with the others, indicating the displaced status of the fracture. The scan shows a section of bone that has detached from the knuckle. It looks like the knuckle has compressed back and to the right and the finger is about 5 or 6mm shorter. The surgeon will try and reattach the flake of bone and get everything back into alignment. The real risk for my immediate future (Dakar) is whether he has to cut and then reattach a tendon to manage the repair. This could result in a healing time longer than I have available. I am unable to straighten the finger at the moment and this could be because of the bone flake, the swelling or already tendon damage.
So I should know more tomorrow night after the surgery - here's hoping
The other potential for threatening the Dakar plans is the damage is to my wallet. I do have private medical insurance but there are a large number of gaps between what gets charged and what gets recovered, and my income protection insurance doesn't cover motor racing incident causes (and also doesn't take effect for 30 days) and being effectively self employed this will really, really hurt me.
More tomorrow if I feel okay after the surgery, otherwise the weekend.
JayBo on Safari
Bro 1, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... arrived
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88