View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #166
CBVRacing
CBVRacing

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
It looks like a segment of the heel has been pulled out by the tendons but has finished up only about 3mm displaced. The surgeon thought maybe he could put a screw in to relocate it but after getting the CAT scan done he decided it should heal okay as it is. Good news.

Now the bad news. Well, I am scheduled for an operation on my right hand tomorrow (Friday) afternoon. Now that the swelling is reducing it is clear that the finger is misaligned with the others, indicating the displaced status of the fracture. The scan shows a section of bone that has detached from the knuckle. It looks like the knuckle has compressed back and to the right and the finger is about 5 or 6mm shorter. The surgeon will try and reattach the flake of bone and get everything back into alignment. The real risk for my immediate future (Dakar) is whether he has to cut and then reattach a tendon to manage the repair.

Ciao
John B
JB -- my advice since this is your first Dakar, ask for a refund from ASO asap. You have not given up, simply postponed it ok? The amount of stress you are going to put your body through, and the short time you have to heal given type of injuries will result in not a pretty picture either way.

(1) you hammer through out of pride, empty the wallet, and go for it. If you finish and cross the finish line you are going to deal with lingering pain or stress further what you have.

(2) you still enter the race, but have to pull out to due re-injuring the same thing or because you try to deal with pain, your mind will not be 100% there. The heel is what I see the biggest problem as you will have to re-balance how you ride the bike. You will crash during the Dakar, no doubt about it, but crashing when not being 100% is not your best option.

(3) wait to decide, but then ASO might not refund you the max amount, given the fantastic exchange rate to the Australian $ it is a big hole.

(4) park the pride and park the bike, heal properly, and enter the 2015 Edition. To me this is the wise decision -- besides my little finger tells me it will be much better than 2014 in terms of route.

fyi, I have hardly ridden 3 months before any Dakar, if I do it is purely for technique, I leave the physical training to be done outside the bike.

Keep us informed and let your body heal properly.
CBVRacing is offline   Reply With Quote